Wednesday, September 10, 2008

IT Happened

Well, as I posted last week, Little Man started Mothers Day Out and LOVED it!!
On Thursday he even came home with his very first award-EVER! It is the
Super Star Student of the Week how cool is that? On the first week of school no less. He is da Little Man!

Well, at least that was up until yesterday. He had been dropping hints throughout Monday that "he didn't think he was going to go to school tomorrow" and each time I assured him that yes, he was going to go to school tomorrow and he was not going to cry when the time came, or else...

Well on the way to school, here was our conversation:

me: So are you excited to go to school Buddy?

LM: NO. There is a boy that always frowns at me and I do not like it.

me: Well just smile at him and maybe he will not frown at you anymore.

LM: Daddy, will you please stay with me?

dad: Buddy you are a big boy and I have to work.... etc.

Little Man then goes around to each of us asking if we will stay with him giggleing all the while.

Once we got there, he asked that daddy take him into class so I said my goodbyes and gave him mommy kisses and he happily went on in with daddy.

Then IT happened. The one thing I had been so proud he did not do the first week and had hoped would not happen did.
As daddy was fixing to leave, the kicking, whailing and screams of a very strong and loud 4 year old rang through out the narrow hall. Clinging to his dad, the teachers (who handled it all so well) had to pry him off and keep dads shirt from coming off at the same time and said "go dad go" which he did. He felt more bad about leaving him like that for the teachers than leaving him.

I could tell as he walked towards the car something was wrong.

After he told me what happened I was scared he would carry on as he sometimes does and would not stop or it would get worse. I called the school as soon as we got home and was assured by the director that as soon as dad left the teacher occupied him with a bucket of army men (one of his favorite things to play) and he was just fine (music to my ears). She also said that he probably just had some seperation anxiety being that this is all new for him. I'm thinking he did not do this last week for me but then again, he is a daddys boy for sure, always has been.
Needless to say, I was happy to hear that he had calmed down sooner than what I thought he would and the teachers were ok *giggle* PHEW!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey jennifer. the ONE thing alexa warned me about was that the first week is exciting for them, but the second week was bad. she, too, had the same exact thing happen with maddy when she started school. no worries. those teachers know exactly how to handle it 'cause LM isn't the first one to do it! hugs and prayers for little man. it may take a while, but he'll get used to the idea!

Mommy's Little Blessings said...

As time goes on he'll get more used to the idea. He's been at home with you for all this time and now has to adjust. Which he will do:)

Anonymous said...

I know he will be okay though; transitioning is crazy I'm sure. I hope he is feeling better too!!! I love him bunches and am SUPER proud of him!!!